CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Footloose and binky-free!

We dreaded this day. Postponed it week after week. Always came up with a reason why it would be better for another day. "She's got a runny nose" or "We've got a busy weekend" or "She just got shots," etc. Finally the day came when it was time to get rid of Lily's binky.

As we were driving home on Friday night, I announced to Wendy that tonight would be the night. She didn't say a concrete, "Oh no it's not, buster!" but her response was something less than 100% alignment (is there such a thing as 13% alignment?). Regardless, as soon as we arrived home, I quickly ran to perform surgery on the binky so as to render it "broken." Then, I planted it strategically on the rug in the living room where I knew Lily would see it.

Wendy was upstairs, probably grabbing Kleenex for the tears (hers) that were coming. Not missing a beat, Lily noticed the binky on the rug and put it in her mouth. I guess I hadn't cut it closely enough, as she was able to grab a hold of part of it with her teeth and proceeded with her nightly "are there any toys that still need to be taken out of the toybox and left somewhere where Dad will step on them?" routine. Not to be ignored, I said loudly, "Lily, is your binky broken?" As if being reminded of something she'd meant to bring up, she looked down at her mouth, removed the binky, and said, "Binky's bwoken!"

Once acknowledged, it was clear that we needed to quickly dispose of the binky before she had time to think about the ramifications. "Uh oh, I guess we'll have to throw it away in the trash!" I said. Ever-thrilled at the prospect of digging through the trash, Lily's face lit up: "Frow it away ina twash!" And before we knew it, Lily's best friend over the past 21 months was resting atop a pile of yesterday's leftovers. It was a beautiful sight.

The rest of the nightly routine went mostly as planned. Lily was a little confused to not have the binky during her nightly story and song, and repeatedly interrupted Wendy to say "paci's bwoken...frow it away ina twash." (The term "paci," I might add, demonstrates Wendy's Roe influence on Lily, and had become Lily's default term for the binky.) Wendy laid Lily down with her "lovey" (a silky little blanket she cuddles at night), and Lily got a little teary when we didn't produce a new-and-improved binky. Wendy held firm, although it took some encouragement.

Lily adapted like a champ, and by Monday's nap, wasn't even asking for the binky anymore. I'm happy to say that tomorrow will mark a full week since Lily's lips last touched the binky, and she's no worse for the wear. And so, in lieu of obituary, I'd like to issue a formal "thank you" to the makers of said binky for 21 months of loyal service to the Allen family.

5 comments:

Stinsonian said...

That's so funny! I loved reading her little "sentences". Kimball was the same way when we cut up his binky but he had no words to express his dissatisfaction. O well... what's done is done and he hasn't looked back for 3 months.

Cassie said...

Congratulations. It's a part of parenthood that isn't really fun, but worth it.

Michelle said...

Congrats! I'm so glad. Such a big day. It was harder for me than for Gavin. He's been asking for it recently...We haven't given in or anything, but funny that it's come up.

Katie said...

Good job. I cried the day we cut Tay's. It's kindof sad taking away something that makes them so happy.

jennie said...

I had no idea Kimball was binky free. I guess I should consider it for Anchor, but I'm stuck on what to do about Minnie's thumb!!! Can't perform surgery on that! (well, I COULD...)