CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, December 14, 2008

Hawaii 2008

Thanks to an amazing bargain for agreeing to listen to a Marriott timeshare presentation, Wendy and I were able to return to Hawaii last week for a child-free vacation that was just what the doctor ordered. My brother Jon and his wife, Kristen, joined us on the trip. (Special thanks to my mom, Wendy's mom, and Sagie for their loving attention to Lily while we were gone.)

This trip was our second to Hawaii, and we tried to shake it up with a few different activities than last time, starting with a short journey to a semi-secluded beach on the south-shore of Kauai. Wendy's sea-legs failed her on the first day, however, as she tumbled headfirst into the shallow waters of the beach and donated our new digital camera to the island (bless her heart...). Consequently, all of the following pictures are courtesy of Kristen, who generously tried to document two couples' trips instead of just one:


Right after the aforementioned camera incident...

The gang at the National Tropical Botanical Gardens (which we didn't enter, just enjoyed the entrance...)

Me on top of a hidden waterfall we found. If you look closely, you'll notice that I'm soaked and covered in mud/moss. Yes, I slipped and nearly fell off the waterfall.

We drove up to Koke'e State Park, which includes a view of the Na Pali Coast, only to find ourselves surrounded by a mystical cloud so thick you could feel the moisture on your hands.

The Allen brothers at their photogenic best.

We spent a day and a half on Oahu as well, which allowed us some time at the Polynesian Cultural Center. Wendy and I decided to get some "authentic" New Zealand tattoos, although they had to use twice the amount of ink to penetrate my arm hair...

We were all smiles after the luau at the PCC.

Wendy and Kristen tearfully pose in front of the "Maternity" fountain at the Laie Temple, the meaning of which had just been explained to them by a charming sister missionary.

The gang in front of the Laie Temple.

We had a great time and loved the company of Jon & Kristen, who made for some of the most amiable companions you could have asked for. Lily has been a little clingy since we've been home, but she got along fine without us. I wonder when we'll be able to afford another "adults-only" vacation...

Possibly the best part of the whole trip: we were able to say "no" to the timeshare sales-pitch (as if we could have afforded it...). Take that, Bill Marriott!

9 comments:

Katie said...

A few things:

You two are a bit clutsy eh?,
That fog picture is gorgeous,
Love the tribals,
You and Jon are both handsome devils
and I wish we could have been there.

l.g. mcfifi said...

Love the pic of you and Jon. I have always wanted to go there. That is great you were able to get a trip in.

Amy said...

I'm Jealous. Looks like so much fun

Jodi Collins said...

Sounds like you had a great time. I wish I could of been there - I love Hawaii.

Unknown said...

Amen to Kate's comments! (I'll add that your wives are beautiful!)

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the camera. That is too bad. But, the trip does look fabulous. And I am definitely jealous!

Michelle said...

All i could think of the whole post was how jealous I was that I didn't go to Hawaii. Then I got the Christmas spirit and I was happy for you. Sounds like lots of fun and SO sorry about the digital camera. What a bummer.

jennie said...

That fog pic is my favorite. WENDY IS SO GORGY! (you too.)

Erica Eley said...

Beautiful place to visit, even more beautiful couple. You put the islands to shame! Your tats are pretty sweet. I miss spending time with you three, I hope I can do s'more next year. (S'more of what?)
Visits!