It's hard to believe how much Lily has grown since we took the above picture. She turns 20 months-old today, and as usual, she is quite the chatterbox. She says some of the most random things. Her latest phrase is "cavities HURT!" which she has started saying every time we wrestle her down to brush her teeth because she was so used to Wendy saying it to her in attempt to get her to hold still. She also likes "careful on-a cars" which I think means "we need to be very careful around cars."
Reading books to herself has become an obsession for her lately. She'll grab 2-3 of her favorites, hide in a corner (or sit on her pink Fisher Price bus), and read them to herself. We'll occasionally hear her saying things like "No, Pop, no!" (from Hop on Pop) or "walk-a lilac tree" (from the book version of Whenever I Hear...).
She's even starting to sing some of the songs we sing to her. Yesterday while playing in the sprinkler in our backyard, she serenaded her aunt Sagie by filling in the blanks while I sang "Joseph Smith's First Prayer" and "Tomorrow" (from Annie). The cutest was when she sang "When You Wish Upon a Star" with me and finished out the song with an angelic "come true!" while her little voice reached for her upper register. She had never before sung that song with me, and it's not even one I sing to her very often. It was pretty stinking cute.
One of her favorite songs these days is "Part of that World" from The Little Mermaid, which I'm ashamed to admit that I know from memory. She calls it the "luh-luh mermaid song" and knows that she can only get it from Dad (Mom can't be bothered to learn such fru-fru songs). It's funny, because the song itself isn't really the prettiest of songs, and it's really long. But darned if she doesn't want me to start all over again as soon as I have finished it the first time. I'd like to think she just likes my singing, but I'm suspicious that it's mostly because she knows she can delay bedtime longer if she gets me to sing a long one (or two). Needless to say, I always oblige.
Though Lily is shy as can be around new faces (nursery especially is becoming a trial of our faith), she's fiesty, sweet, and beautiful like her mother. I'd say it's a pretty great life.
Wednesday, September 2, 2009
Lily turns 20 months
Posted by Justin at 1:55 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
So cute. It's so fun having their little personalities come out. She is so sweet. Seriously, leave her kicking and screaming in nursery. Let them bring her back to you if she cries longer than 5 minutes, but will she really cry that long?
Love it.
And yes, Jack did cry longer than 5 minutes. It took us exactly 5 months to get him to stay for the full 2 hours, without either one of us in the room with him.
I love that Lily sings and I love that you sing to her. I just checked out Sunny's blog and guess who was singing on her play list? It was Justin and Sunny singing the song from Westside Story. It was sooooo! beautiful, but I can't select which songs I want on her blog any more, so I only heard it once. How about a live performance from you and Sunny, then you could sing it to me over and over again.
She is such a treasure. Love you all!
You make me want to see her. That smile can melt anyone.
Post a Comment