This is what happens when you try to conserve counter-top space by storing the leftover sheet cake in the oven:
Long story short: I made some homemade chocolate cake for Jennie, who just had a baby. I brought the leftover cake home (using a plastic cookie-sheet lid Jennie lent me), and decided to store it in the oven to save counter space (a little trick I learned from my mother). I should mention that Justin warned me not to store the cake there.
As you can tell from these pictures, I forgot the cake was there when I preheated the oven for dinner the next night. As I opened the oven to put the potatoes in, smoke came flooding out and filled the whole house. I shut the oven door and went running to Justin with a guilty look on my face. It was bad enough to ruin the leftover cake and melt poor Jennie's lid, but the thing that made me feel worse was that Justin knew this would happen, and I hate it when he's right!
Needless to say, dinner was Burger King that night, and we've been smelling burnt plastic ever since. Sorry Jenn!



12 comments:
I think this story is hilarious, especially considering Jay's words of warning to you... sometimes those guys do know a thing or two!
Melted plastic aside, you were indeed a domestic diva that day when you brought my family a delicious dinner of Tortilla Soup, salad, and homemade chocolate cake. You really do love me!! I should mention that the cake was so good that I ate all of our leftovers SINGLE HANDEDLY!!!
Thanks again for dinner, it was so fun having you over. xoxo
Don't worry Wendy--this is the only time he has ever been right. So, it's not likely that it will happen again :)
Love the title, love the story, love that it's happened to someone besides me. Though in my case, I was hiding the dirty dishes from guests and forgot they were there. Next day...all my plastic bowls were melted onto the metal cookie sheet. Great pics too!
In my defense, I never once said "I told you so."
Of course until now, when I should mention that I told her so...
Okay, just so you get SOMETHING from me, I'm sitting here completely disgusted that I had a witty response (at least I thought so) of my similar episodes of the risks of "oven storage", clicked anonymous and publish and anticipated your response in getting it...
Then, the kids told me I had to do this stupid "izrnz" code, so I lost my comment to you for the second time! Man, trying to learn all the in's and out's of computering can
be a very trying business...
But hey, you gotta admit, I maybe handed down a bad practice, but you got one killer cake recipe!
Okay, let's try this thing again. Let me know if you get it. Love, Mom
Very cute. I hate it when Rory is right too and stuff like that always happens to me. My stories are more like - "don't set that drink right there - the kids will knock it over." I of course disobey and GOTCHA - there goes the drink. Good story though - at least you can laugh about it.
FUN. We have all had a great kitchen panic moment. I soaked up hamburger grease with a paper towel by an open flame as Nate shoved me out of the way with baking soda.(we purchased a fire extinguisher) Just look back at this and laugh- my mother in law stores everything in her oven-and this has happened to her more than once!
That is funny. I haven't ever melted any plastic in the oven, but one time I was baking a torte that has the removable ring on the pan and as I was taking it out of the oven the ring came off and I dropped the whole torte into the oven. Talk about a mess. And everytime I baked something after that it stunk like something was burning.....oh the joys of cooking.
Ah yes, mother's "kitchen counter-saving secret". Classic. I too have had my run in with disaster with this little number. I once left my box of Krispy Kreme Doughnuts in the oven, and next thing to know i'm putting out a flaming box and melted, burn pastries. Oh well, first time for everything
Zoiks!
I do hate it when you have to confess to the husband that he was right. Those potatoes, by the way, were delicious! So in my behalf, I'm glad that you had to use my oven to cook them so I got to taste them!
I'm so sympathetic! I won't mention how many kitchen fires we've had in our married life thanks to me (okay, only three).
Post a Comment